Camera-Based Auto ID System for our Distribution Company
After reading a web post this month (Jan/2013) presented by Inbound Logistics, Hopkins Distribution Company is considering looking into the possibility of using camera-based auto ID systems instead of using laser bar-code reading systems.
Some of the pluses to using camera based systems include:
- A much more efficient and reliable data acquisition schema.
- Increased employee productivity.
- Cost reduction due to maximal performance and read rates.
- Cutting of labor costs by $36,000/yr for manual sort-picks, or $400,000/yr on automated sort-picks.
- Automatic reading of barcodes and 2D machine codes without having to aim or touch a laser scanner.
- Reading of printed text by adding optical character recognition (OCR).
- Improved read accuracy over laser scanners, including damaged or colored machine codes.
- Increased sorting-picking speeds and visibility across your entire supply chain.
- Offers higher speeds.
- Improved accuracy.
- Greater flexibility.