UPS and FedEx Dimensional Weight Changes to Rates
FedEx Dimensional Weight (Dim Weight)
Dim weight is a billing technique that considers the volume of a package, in addition to the actual weight.
Ground and Home Delivery
Effective January 5, 2015, FedEx Ground will apply dimensional weight pricing to all shipments. Currently, FedEx Ground applies dimensional weight pricing only to packages measuring 3 cubic feet or greater in the U.S. and Canada.
FedEx Ground identifies a box’s scanned dimensions through sortation to determine if a dim weight revenue adjustment should be made.
Ground Dim Weight Pricing Change
The January 5, 2015 change to apply dim weight to all shipments aligns Ground and Express pricing and provides a more consistent customer experience.
- FedEx automation solutions will be updated with the change effective January 5, 2015
- The change applies to Ground and Home Delivery U.S. domestic, U.S. to Canada, and Canada to U.S. shipments; SmartPost is not impacted
To determine the dim weight of a U.S. package:
- Obtain the actual length, width, and height of the package in inches. If a value is between 0.00 and 0.49, round down to the nearest inch. If a value is between 0.50 and 0.99, round up to the nearest inch.
- Multiply the length x width x height (L x W x H) to calculate the package’s cubic size.
- Divide the total cubic inches by 166 for US Domestic or 139 for International:
- (L x W x H) / 166 = dim weight
o U.S. domestic Ground and Home Delivery packages
- (L x W x H) / 139 = dim weight
o FedEx International Ground to Canada packages
- Round the calculated dim weight up to the nearest pound to determine the dim weight. Each Ground package that:
- Weighs more than 150 lbs. is assessed an additional $55 unauthorized package charge
- Has a combined length and girth more than 130″ is assessed an additional $55 OS surcharge
- Compare the dim weight to the actual package weight; the rate is based on whichever is greater.
U.S. Domestic Ground / Home Delivery Example
Calculate the dim weight if the package dimensions are in cubic inches.
- Actual weight: 28 lbs.
- Length: 30.4″
- Width: 15.2″
- Height: 15.0″
- Round the dim values: length to 30″, width to 15″.
- Calculate the cubic inches: 30″ x 15″ x 15″ = 6,750 cubic inches.
- Divide the cubic inches by domestic service: 6,750 / 166 = 40.66 lbs.
- Round up the dim weight: 41 lbs.
The rated weight is 41 lbs. because the dim weight (41 lbs.) is greater than the actual weight (28 lbs.).